(CHESAPEAKE, Va.) - 2020 will be remembered as a year many of us had to make changes to our lives. One of those changes includes this year’s celebration of The Tidewater Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Regional EMS Awards. This year because of the pandemic the event had to be held virtually.
While the COVID-19 pandemic helped to highlight EMS providers and all they do to keep us safe. At the Tidewater EMS Council we know this is the work these providers do day in and day out. They are everyday heroes who if you ask them will tell you, they are just doing their job.
The TEMS Regional EMS Awards highlight those providers who go above and beyond the call of duty. The council presented top honors to those individuals who were considered for their remarkable contributions to the EMS field.
This year’s award recipients have demonstrated a commitment to excellence and passion for serving others. They continually strive to provide the highest quality of care when it is needed most. We take great pride in recognizing THE best EMS responders, instructors, dispatchers, nurses and agencies in the Tidewater region and Commonwealth of Virginia,” said David Long, Executive Director of the Tidewater EMS Council, Inc. “EMS is often the tip of the spear in the healthcare continuum working closely with hospitals, public health, and the law enforcement community. We’re proud to have the opportunity to recognize some of the best EMS providers in Tidewater.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2020 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced later this year. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
The 2020 Tidewater EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS (R.C. Dailey Award) – James “Jim” Hoffler, Portsmouth Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Leadership (Formally EMS Administrator) (Bruce Edwards Award) – John B Stanley, Nightingale
- Outstanding EMS Agency Award – Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Fire & Emergency Services
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital EMS Provider Award – Stephanie Adams, Portsmouth Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Physician (Frank Yeiser, Jr., MD Award) – Kenneth McManus, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Fire & Emergency Services
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS Award – Lauren Plaine, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- Regional EMS Award for Innovation Excellence in EMS - Clayton Gaskins, Jr, Newsoms Vol. Fire Department
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator (James Wagenbach Award) – Daryl L. Clements, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Fire & Emergency Services
- Outstanding Public Safety Telecommunications Dispatcher Award – Barbara Hughes, Suffolk Police Department – Communications Operator
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety Award – Matthew Bunting, Norfolk Airport Fire Department
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Emergency Preparedness and Response – Virginia Beach Community Emergency Response Team
- Lifetime Achievement Award – James “Jim” Hoffler, Portsmouth Fire Department
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Dennis Keane, Virginia Beach Fire Department